Want to get the most money when you sell your house?
Here are 10 Insider-Tips to make sure you do!
The days when you could place your home on the market for sale in the local Multiple Listing Service (MLS) with any Realtor are now a thing of the past. As a home seller you must present a home to the buyers of today that will make them want to buy. This takes some forethought and know-how.
Below you will find 10 Insider-Tips on what a house seller can do to improve their chances for a higher sales price. These tips work for both the money strapped home seller as well as a home seller who has good resources to hire someone to do these 10 Insider-Tips for them.
- First and the most important is Get Rid Of Your Stuff aka Junk! We Americans have way more material stuff than anyone really needs. Get rid of it through garage sales, give away, donations or if you must keep it store off premise if you can. Less clutter gives the illusion and feeling of open space and room to move. Pack away 75% of your books. Remove all the refrigerator magnets. De-clutter all counters throughout the house, all your floor space, and your closets. You’re moving soon so start packing.
- Clean And Organize Garage, Attic, and Yards Including Patios. You can get boxes from various sources for free such as, paper boxes at printing shops or from your office. You can buy boxes at any Office Supply Store or even a U-Haul depot. Costco has plastic bins that work great too. Once your stuff is in boxes store them in an orderly manner. Best to store them off site. Remember, there’s a place for everything and everything has its place.
- Paint Interior And Exterior With Neutral Colors. Don’t forget the trim.
- Update, Repair, And Paint. Kitchen and cabinets. You don’t need to paint the inside but the outside surfaces are a must. Use a light or white color only.
- Bathroom Duty. Along with the kitchen the bathroom is important to make sure looks its best. Re-grout the tile if steam cleaning does not make the grout the original color. If needed Re-glaze the bathtub. Change out the plumbing along with the electrical fixtures for an updated look.
- Hardware Care. Change the electrical switch and plug covers. Replace rusty door hinges. Add new cabinet knobs in the kitchen and bathrooms.
- Fix The Floors. Finish hardwood floors if polishing and buffing doesn’t bring them back to life. Steam-clean the carpet. Replace old school vinyl linoleum with new light color squares or linoleum.
- What About The Lighting. Change out-dated fixtures with new ones. If they’re broken or don’t work properly, replace them. If the fixture doesn’t seem to give enough light try adding a higher watt bulb. Remember, brightness is good when selling a home.
- Bring Out The Big Guns To Clean. Clean every nook and cranny in every room of your house. Don’t forget the corners, the cracks and the carpets. Wash the windows and screens. If the blinds are in state of repair remove them. Clean windows will allow light in and make the room bright. If you can afford it, hire a cleaning crew to do all of this cleaning. You will thank yourself when you go to bed that night without a sore back.
- New Front Door. You only have one chance to make a first impression. Don’t go and buy an expensive front door. Fix and paint your existing front door so it shines. Spend some extra time to make sure your front door is perfect! One last note…make sure the door bell works.